Sunday, July 24, 2005

varanasi is famous for sweets, silk, and drugs

Conversation of the day:
We are crossing the street and I suddenly see a team of people of whom i worked with in kulkuta. There are millions of people on the street becuse we are near the main ghat.
-Other person freaking out: "Your not here to socialize.. If you want to do that wait until you get back to Canada."
-Me: "If I'm not here to socialize i should have stayed home."

This town is so chill. Even in the crazyness of the crowds (tomorrow is the shiva festival so some areas of town are packed.. especially the holy sites...) there is a peacfull flow. The only anxioty that exists is not from within me but is caused by being with the same people 24 hours a day and not sleeping alot. Unfortunatly not everyone was made to be a traveler... further still travelers differ on world views... To me, i don't care if i am risking being scamed... i'd rather take the risk and expereince somthing new and great then to live in paranioa and with the fear that everyone is out to get you. Yes this city can be dangerous and you have to be aware of what is around you... but you still need to che'lax... I mean SO WHAT if i get scamed out of a few rubies... Really it is not a scam... A man told me significance of the burning ghat .. he talked for 20 min about history and faith.. and i gave him 5 ruppies... (lke a quater) In all i lost like 2 bucks dollars canadian today through "scams" but really is it a scam? every time i get a service of which i haev enjoyed.. or atleast did not, not like... i mean i spendt 5 bucks today and I was on a boat on the gangies, i got to see aLOT of temples, I was blessed by a holy man (or atleast a man who was pretending to be one), had lunch with an israeli and some girls from france, recieved a history lesson about the hindu-muslim troubles in the city, saw the burning ghats and watched as some were burned and some where carred to the mddle fo te river and attatched to stone to sink(there are reasons for this) AND I saw a few religous ceramonies.... what the heck can 5 bucks get you in Canada?

I have to work on my patients and i think that is what this part of the trip is forcing me to do... This seems to be a reocurring trend. People i don't really know ask me to travel with them and then when i do the people have a hard time adapting to their surroundings and maybe to my personality. my usual relaxed nature is my gift an curse...

Anyway, We are away from the crowds now. I chose to loose my friends from Kulkuta in the crowd so that my travel mate could find a place to calm down and breath... I doubt that such a chance encouter will happen again... owell.. i wish them well... and i'm sure i'll see atleast some of them again...

anyway i'm off.. ive been up since 430 this morning... and i think i'm over stimulated... i love this country...

No comments: